4.12.2012

Gaining Perspective

On Wednesday Eric and I left one of the most special places we've ever been to, Naka island, located off of Po Bay in Phuket. We were having the trip of a lifetime and were in a state of pure bliss when we arrived to our next destination Banyan Tree on Phuket mainland.

Upon arrival we ate lunch and then headed to check out the beach which was weirdly quiet with stores locking up. We figured they were just closing for the day. We decided to go back to the pool which was also empty. We got ready to jump in when a hotel staff shouted, "evacuation." We were then rushed to a grassy place in front of the hotel and were told about the earthquake off Sumatra, Indonesia and the potential tsunami threat. In our bathing suits without cell phones or passports panic started to set in. We were told that during the 2004 tsunami this waiting point had been safe ground. In a moments time the plan changed and buses arrived to take us to higher ground. At the next point about 200 hotel guests exited the bus and then 5 minutes later a hotel staff started yelling to board the bus again. This time people began to unravel. Everyone was running full speed, pushing and shoving to get back on the bus. Kids were crying and adults were panicking saying they were going to run for the hills. They took us to a field which we were told was the highest point and waited into the night during a lightning storm before heading to the hotel after the evacuation was lifted.


I guess I have lived somewhat of a sheltered life in the sense that I have never strongly felt like my life was in immediate danger. I lived in South Florida during Hurricane Andrew and have been in countless snowstorms but something about the prospect of a tsunami brought a wave of emotions I have never before experienced. When I spoke with my mom and dad part of me wasn't 75% or even 50% sure that we would be OK. My husband kept the both of us strong. Thailand is a place of such serene beauty and kindness, but is also home to some of mother natures most terrifying natural disasters. It was heartbreaking hearing the locals share their stories from the 2004 tsunami.

This experience just reiterated how grateful I am for my life, my husband, our families and friends. Even though everything is back to normal in paradise it reminded me of what is important in life and how I need to truly count my blessings, live life to the fullest and try to not sweat the small stuff.

1 comment: