8.31.2012

Blue Moon

Tonight there is a blue moon which is quite rare. Blue moons are the second full moon occurring within the same month. Full moons are known for being an emotionally charged time, so with two in one month people may be feeling extra intense energy. This is a good time to take that energy and look within for a little self reflection. 

Lately, I have been feeling an increase in emotion. On this full moon I can't stop thinking about my grandpa who has been struggling with cancer. He has always been fascinated by blue moons. The Frank Sinatra song "Blue Moon" was a favorite of my grandparents. Growing up I vividly remember them dancing so happily and in love to this song together - “Blue moon, you saw me standing alone, without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own.” They had such a special love. My grandma was a telephone operator and my grandpa fell madly in love with the sound of her voice. This song symbolized their love and he named his prized sail boat The Blue Moon. 

When seeing him last he kept encouraging Eric and I to sit down and write out our bucket list of things we hope to experience in our lives. He said how quickly life passes you by. This stuck with me and makes me realize the importance of enjoying all the small moments and not rushing from one thing to the next (which I tend to do). I have lived such a full life already but just like setting goals every year it's important to think about the things you hope to see, experience and accomplish during your lifetime. Tonight Eric and I are going to sit down and start our bucket list. 

1 comment:

  1. Kristin and I have recently done the same! However we keep adding to it so I need a clone.

    Your Grandpa was very, very wise. I'm going to add something special to my bucket list in his honor.

    ReplyDelete